World Cup 2002 and Ronaldo: Overcoming fear


World Cup 2002 in Japan and South Korea has seen the peak, giving the name Ronaldo really become a legend. Let's read and share with the story of the World Cup 16 years ago by the former Brazilian striker told on FourFourTwo.

The epilogue before the 1998 World Cup finals forced Ronaldo to look at the trophy - which many believe he deserved - in the hands of others. Then, a series of serious injuries threatened his "alien" career, causing him to face a vicious battle and torment his body.But he has returned to full strength so that the 2002 World Cup in Japan and Korea has seen the peak, giving the name Ronaldo really become a legend. Let's read and share with the story of the World Cup 16 years ago by the former Brazilian striker told on FourFourTwo.

I remember very well that I woke up in the hotel room and noticed around the players and doctors of the team Lidio Toledo. They did not tell me why they were there or what had happened. I asked them to go out and talk in another place. I just want to sleep again.

But I was taken to a walk in the hotel's garden. Someone told me that I was unconscious for two minutes and that was the reason that night I would not kick the World Cup final against France. It can not be accepted. I have a duty to do with the motherland and do not want to disappoint anyone. I think I can still support the team so I asked the coach to play me. I must kick that match.I always love the World Cup finals. It is not only the most important sporting event in the world but also a unique festival of different cultures.

All those who once won the World Cup with Brazil, to me they are all heroes. Pele and his teammates in Sweden in 1958; followed by Garrincha and the squad in 1962; Rivellino, Gerson and Tostao in 1970; Bebeto and the rest of 1994; And with that, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and my teammates in 2002.

Fortunately, when the tournament is not far away, my knees are getting better. Gradually, I was able to start doing physical exercises and muscle. My future is still unclear and I'm still not sure if I can get the World Cup. After all, it is difficult for coach Luiz Felipe Scolari to call a little player in the past few seasons.

But after nearly two years struggling, I recovered. I gradually came back to play for Inter. In March 2002, Big Phil called me up for a friendly against Yugoslavia in Fortaleza. I just kicked 45 minutes - the first match for Brazil after nearly 3 years - but it was enough to secure a place for me to attend the World Cup.I always say football is my college. I do not have time for college but football teaches me more than any master or doctor. No course can provide the things that I have received from the player. I will always be grateful for the football and all of them have helped me become the person I am today. Playing a team sport helps you learn how to treat people and do things for the team every day.

Perhaps the biggest thing that football teaches me is that I know how strong I am. Until that terrible trauma, I know nothing. I have achieved many goals and scored many goals in my career but can honestly admit that football has brought me more than I do for football.